Monday, February 22, 2010

There and Back Again

I've been on the road. Took my daughter and her best friend to Vassar, where my sister, a professor in English Literature, took us around. A delight for me was to see my work in her office. What a difference context makes. Works that seemed small in the industrial space of Western Avenue Studios looks beautiful in a personal setting:
My favorite place was the theater. Because I'm an Old Lady, I could just walk in and ask to look. Here's the wall of supplies in the costume room. Why didn't I know this could be a career?
Across the hall was the scene shop, with the wolf from Into the Woods watching over all:
Midweek I spent a day with a friend who'd come to town for medical appointments. We walked the city, and talked all day. Here is a view from where we had coffee. Looks like Paris to me.

Finally I spent time with Ami Simms. She's the remarkable woman behind the the Alzheimer's Quilt Initiative, an exhibit which has been seen by over 200,000 people and raised over $350,000 for Alzheimer's research. I took her to the Arsenal Center for the Arts early Saturday. We got to study this view across the street - I like the horizontals and verticals - while we waited to be let in.

I watched her teach, and we had lunch together. Wonderful and thought-provoking. She is a generous, wise soul. I look forward to her lectures tonight.

No comments: