Wednesday, February 24, 2010

tangled up

Tangled Alphabets: León Ferrari and Mira Schendel, at MoMA through June 15, includes the above example of what Ms. Schendel called Graphic Objects. (Museum of Modern Art

After repeated efforts at procrastination, I have finally begun my mother's taxes. Not that they are complicated, just that I don't have a clue what I'm doing, and I hate that feeling. I would rather scrub the bathtub than face an Unknown for which I am responsible. So I've been surfing the net a lot, and cleaning the bathtub really well .

I've been thinking about the use of text in my own work, how it might expand and modulate. One procrastination was to play with text shapes in Photoshop, but I need to get back to printing to push the idea. The screen is nothing without the ink, the layers. My most recent printing efforts have been dull beyond belief. Too much heart and brain power going into daily life.

I am wondering about how to push the gelatin plate printing. Linda Germain's work has made me wonder how to make the medium work harder. My first attempts last week were clumsy, of course. I hope to work with her at a class this spring.
I've also been daydreaming about courses - Jane Dunnewold at ProChem, and a delicious offering at Haystack, Making Prints Without A Press, and Laura Cater-Woods' classes, particularly the one about turning fabric into books.

Time to make dinner.

No comments: