Thursday, June 12, 2008

Full Circle


Recently, while storing this piece after a show, I thought "I love this, but it will never sell: It's too personal." Turns out someone fell in love with it, and bought it during the show's last minutes , so last-minute that word didn't reach me until after pick-up. So this week I brought it to its new home.

The piece evolved over several years. The first image was a self-portrait I painted during profound depression. Years later I photo-transfered the image onto fabric. It looked awful, but when I flipped the fabric over, the ghost-image grabbed me. So I stitched on that. Still later, coping with my mom's depression, I worked on the image again, piecing it into a larger whole, then painting and printing on top of that. The whole isn't more than 18" high. "It spoke to me," the buyer said, "I couldn't stop thinking about it." So she took it home.

3 comments:

nancyrosetta said...

Linda, this piece is very unique. I am not surprised that the current owner of it was haunted by it to the point of purchase. Congratulations on the sale.

I also find the way you have attached it to the suede matboard is just brilliant. Who would have thought to use string in the corners? You! thats who. Ingenious I say.

Linda Branch Dunn said...

Thanks for the compliment. The mounting is done with machine hem stitch, onto hand-dyed cotton (guess it reads as suede on your computer). The cotton is wrapped, over batting, onto stretchers. So, not ingenious, just effective...

Unknown said...

Linda, what a gorgeous piece. I can see why thoughts of it stuck with the buyer. I love your pieces, and am sure I'll see them in person one of these days!

ps, thanks for the nice post on my collage daily blog :-)