Thursday, May 7, 2009

Selection

Annie Dillard writes "A schedule defends against chaos. It is a net for catching days." Tchaikovsky, whose life was full of sorrow, said "I sit down to work each morning at 9AM, and the muse has learnt to be on time."I need pruning like a tree in spring. Perhaps you know the feeling? My head is too full of ideas. So I've asked a couple of artist friends to help me. With one, I check in regularly, to ask "what are you doing? What do you want to get done?" With the other, I meet for quiet time at a coffee shop; we call it "study hall." She writes; I draw.

To quote Marge Piercy's The Sabbath of Mutual Respect:

...Fertility and choice:
every row dug in spring means weeks
of labor. Plant too much and the seedlings
choke in weeds as the warm rain soaks them.
The goddess of abundance Habondia is also
the spirit of labor and choice.

photos by BlossomSwap.com
Time to weed and hoe. To look, draw, paint, focus. Creation grows from there.

No comments: