Friday, May 15, 2009

Up to No Good

I've been rereading the Harry Potter books. That woman can write. They are as engulfing as the first time I read them, years ago. So, in the spirit of the Marauder's map, I solemnly swear I have been up to no good. I have been printing and dyeing. I have been having a blast.Tuesday I worked in the studio with two other Lowell Fiber Studio members, experimenting with thermofax screens and thickened dye. I printed on some t-shirts. The measure of success is my daughter wore one to high school the next day. I overdyed and printed a scarf. It's at my Etsy shop now. At the end of the day we threw fabric and left-over dye into baggies. Great results.Thursday I came back alone and built on what I'd learned. I reworked sheets of ugly fabric, and also tried to get controled results on linen napkins. The results are nestled in my bedroom, under a quilt. Can't wait to wash them out tonight.

I think this is what I am supposed to do. Should I just sell/give away all that factory-produced fabric cluttering my studio?

2 comments:

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

the t-shirt is really cool

Candied Fabrics said...

That last piece of fabric is fantastic - isn't that always the way! I got rid of the vast majority of my commercial fabric years ago and it felt good to have it out in my studio, not making me feel guilty i should be using it. Now, every once in awhile I buy pretty FQ's of fabric just for inspiration, with no intention of using it! I love sewing only with my own hand dyes!