Friday, May 29, 2009

Painting and Process

Woke up feeling as gloomy as the weather (fourth cold grey day). Delight arrived in a blog post from ARTSAKE about a process in the studio. Followed that link to Cynthia Maurice's art (while my dog waited patiently for her walk) and found richness to warm the morning.

I love hearing about the labor behind the product. I love to see the exploration that proceeds - that is -creation. Degas' drawings let you see him at work:

We see the finished work, but the artist first explores, sketches, struggles, edits, and tries again. Even what we perceive as success may not feel that way to its creator. Did you know that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle hated Sherlock Holmes, and longed to be a "real" writer?

Pixar artist Pete Docter said in a recent interview that he thinks going to the airport to watch people ("I wear sunglasses so they can't tell I'm staring") is one of the best inspirations around. So I'm off to a coffee shop to draw this morning. Focus, struggle, don't worry about the end point, then look at the results, and hunt for the next step.

No comments: