Friday, July 30, 2010

books


With no air conditioning in either studio space, and the temperature in the high 90s, I've retreated to the local libraries. Tom Wolfe's The Painted Word is a diatribe against the late 70s NYT assertion that for art "to lack a persuasive theory is to lack something crucial." Wolfe inverts this statement, and claims it means that "without a theory to go with it, I can't see a painting." His rapier wit felt cooling on a hot day. Wikipedia tells me the book got Wolfe called a fascist, eunuch and worse. Probably he chortled all the way to the bank.


I've hauled home huge volumes, looking at the work of artists mentioned during my too-brief painting course this spring. Most recently I read The Art of the Real: I've never studied the biographies and artist statements like this before. It is eye opening, to see a life laid out against the work. Franz Kline, Roger Muhl, Charles Burchfield, Wayne Thiebault. So many interconnections and resonances. So much work. Interesting to note, too, where a mentor or a sponsor shows up. Not to mention the wives. I think I would like to read more about them, too.

No comments: