Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Radiance

It is a glorious New England morning. The light amazes. This is the view from my back porch. The windows are my little studio.
"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
E.B. White


I will head up to the studio (almost impenetrable again, with backlog and backwash from 3 weeks away.) Put on my hard hat and dig the place out.
I have been reading about Jennifer Bartlett, who I have admired ever since I stumbled on her book "In The Garden." Her work, abstract to realistic, was supported by grids and repetition. And energy, and nerve. Of her decision to work on pre-manufactured square enamel plates: "I was looking for a way to get work done without the burden of having to do anything good...I thought that if I could just eliminate everything I hated doing, like stretching canvas, then I'd be able to work a lot more."

No comments: