Thursday, February 5, 2009

Local art

With the economy in the tank,the arts get cut. Not just to the bone, but now full amputation.

Brandesis University wants to close the Rose Art Museum and sell it's art collection to make up for lost income. Boston Latin may cut all its art and music programs. And of course people who want to slow the stimuls package complain that money for arts programs don't create jobs. (O, I would like to talk to those people.)

So this week I opened my checkbook and opened memberships at three museums. I figure, if I want them to be there when I'm ready to visit, I need to send them money now. Makes sense.
I began with the Danforth Museum of Art in Framingham. I've never been there, in the 20-odd years I've lived here. Now my colleague Jeanne Williamson has a show she's curated there. One of the pieces on display is by my good friend Merill Commeau. This Saturday my Lowell Fiber Studio group will go to see the exhibit and attend Jeanne's gallery talk.

The TV and VCR will still be around next year. But maybe not your local art museum. Now's the time to support the resources you just assumed would always be there.

2 comments:

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Bravo to you! This is exactly what people need to do. I own a small business and we are stuggling to survive now. We have our building up for sale now. Customers come in and are so upset with us closing, telling us how much they love our shop, but yet have not opened their pocketbooks for a long time now. It is nice to know there is someone who understands what is required to keep places you love open and there for you.

Wen said...

great idea= passing it on!