Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Buy Local. Buy Art.


Here's a little self promotion: The artists of Western Avenue Studios in Lowell, where I work, will hold a SPRING FLING and arts extravaganza Saturday May 3 and Sunday May 4, 12-5. I'll be there with my studio mates, in Lowell Fiber Studio, on the fifth floor (yes! there's an elevator!). Though the building is, indeed, on the "wrong" side of the tracks, inside its industrial exterior are over 150 working artists. It is a wonderful, energizing place to visit, and then you can go have tea and wonderful salads at LiveAlive in down-town Lowell.

To do my part for the economy, I took the plunge and brought photos of my dad, who died with Alzheimer's almost ten years ago, to Ashlee Welz Smith last weekend. She will paint a small portrait of him for me, and I will give her my tax refund. Very very exciting, to commission a piece about someone I love, from someone who's work I admire. You should try it, too.

No comments: