Tuesday, February 12, 2008

images


I start my day with Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac whenever possible. It broadcasts just before 9AM. I pause while he speaks about other artists' lives, and then listen to a poem. Sometimes they stay with me for days. How's this for imagery?

from "Misgivings," by William Matthews:

[my love] is like a great city to me, or a park that finds new ways to wear each flounce of light and investiture of weather.


or, from "In the Middle," by Barbara Crooker:

One day you look out the window,
green summer, the next, and the leaves have already fallen,
and a grey sky lowers the horizon. Our children almost grown,
our parents gone, it happened so fast. Each day, we must learn
again how to love, between morning's quick coffee
and evening's slow return.

No comments: